when to start feeding suet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OHSpartan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. OHSpartan

OHSpartan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Ohio
    I'm planning to have small amounts of suet available for my flock this winter for a little extra energy.

It is getting cool in Ohio, but still a long way before cold. Would you guys suggest putting it out now to prepare them for cold, or wait another 6 weeks or so when temps are regularly below freezing.

2. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting I have not heard of giving the hens suet. The same suet you would give to wild birds?

3. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    whats suet?

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I've given my girls those prepacked suet squares for bird feeders. They LOVE them! I pick the one with the highest protein, usually the one with the sunflower seeds. I they only get them a couple of times a year. It's a nice treat. [​IMG]

5. Mskayladog

6. OHSpartan

OHSpartan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Ohio
    suet is basically kidney fat off of a large mammal like a cow. Deer, sheep and goats do have a little suet, but not as much as cows. It is hard and does not mold like soft fats do.

When we buy a cow from our neighbor, I have the butcher save the suet out. It isn't blended with seeds and nuts like the store-bought versions, so it is basically pure fat. It is always labeled "high-energy" and does help many insect eating birds like woodpeckers survive through the winter.

There are numerous recipies online for making your own. I've done it before with crisco, peanut butter, rolled oats and birdseed. The stuff from the butcher is "free" and he usually gives me more than my fair share.

7. Mskayladog

I can't find any info on feeding suet to chickens. Did any of you? How often it could be fed if its bad or good for them.

8. snowpetals907

snowpetals907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    I saw some suet pellets for sale. they are perfect chicken sized bites...think i might give them a try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by