when to start feeding while "mama" is still hatching others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barnyardbarbie, Sep 25, 2007.

1. barnyardbarbie

barnyardbarbie New Egg

Sep 7, 2007
    Victoria, Australia
    Today is a fantastic and big day for me because my broody chook has just started hatching her babies and I feel so excited. This is the first time for me and till now am going on by advise from friends. So this is it...How long before they come off the nest and eat. Does "mama" wait until all the chicks are hatched before she brings them to food and water? There are a dozen under "mama" and the nests are raised about two feet above floor and so they can't get there on their own.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

The babes will not "need" to eat for about a day or 2 . Momma will decide when.....but you may want to put a ramp there for them to get down. Once she takes them down...fix her a "nest" on the floor area..safe from the others...if they are aggressive towards her. I have not had a problem here with that tho. She is a great momma! Idealy....put her and the babies in a safe place, and offer them chick starter...mine free range...and altho I offer them the starter...she takes them off for bugs and such.Oh, and we will of course, want pics!!

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    There is nothing quite like seeing a hen hatch and raise chicks. I would isolate them from the flock and put the nest on the floor, cause I am afraid the chicks might fall when exploring. Most mama hens know best. I would make sure they have chick starter and acessible water for the chicks. She will probably be protective of her chicks. While she is raising chicks she won't be laying any eggs. In a few weeks she will be weaning them and don't be suprised if she is kinda aggressive towards them. She is trying to teach them it is time to be on your own. I only hope you hen doesn't decide to go broody again when she weans her babies.

4. barnyardbarbie

barnyardbarbie New Egg

Sep 7, 2007
    Victoria, Australia
    Yes, the photos ; got some today. Thanks for the advices. My husband and I moved the brooding mothers (we got two that started being broody for the first time together), hatchlings and eggs to another shed where we have put the nests on the ground level closer to the chick starter feed and water. We have also separated them from each other and the flock. It was such an awesome experience holding them in my hands as we did the transfer. Hope all goes well and watch out for the photos as we progress.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    those are good pics does she still have the rest of the eggs under her????

6. barnyardbarbie

barnyardbarbie New Egg

Sep 7, 2007
    Victoria, Australia
    I am so depaired now. Atfer we moved the nest to gorund level all seemed okay for an hour or so until I saw momma #1 on the left, made a mess on the nest and moved herself closer to the food and drink. We thought she would go back to the nest but it been about an hour now and she hasn't. So now we have moved the remaining 6 eggs under her (deperately hoping they would survive!) and cleaned out the nest. Can someone tell us what's going on? Will the eggs be alright. The attached picture shows the original position before she moved.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, dont worry, she needs to feed her hatchlings now, so boil some eggs and crumble up the yolks only, give the yolks to her and the chicks on a tiny dish. Just put it near mum so thet she can reach it, she is starving too! then she will show the babies the food and will help them eat. Also put a safe water dish nearby as well. When the others have hatched out you can move the food and water away to normal spot. She should stay on the eggs if she has access to food without having to get up.
    Otherwise if she gives up on the unhatched ones you will need to find someone with an incubator or make one up if you have time.
    let us know how she is going.

8. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Priceless pics. I say number 4 picture should be a pic of the week. I just love seeing baby looking up at momma. Good luck with the rest of the eggs. Isn't it just amazing when one can watch nature at its very best? Here's sending hugs and good vibes across the ocean to ya hun.

9. barnyardbarbie

barnyardbarbie New Egg

Sep 7, 2007
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks for the encouragement and support gals. Yes they all seem much settled today and the chicks are starting to eat too as you can see from the pics. Also one more baby has hatched. And this morning we saw momma #2 with two new babies. What a joy! What a joy! I could just stand there and watch them the whole day. And the little one is also starting to feed for herself as she sees mum do it. Yes bringing the food closer to the mums was what I should I have done earlier. Nevertheless it all sorted now and thanks again. Will keep the pictures coming in...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, ive been busy and dint check in, they are beautiful, im glad mumma has it sorted out, she looks contented too!
    try and get some housework done while you bliss out with the chicks,!!! congrats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by