When to start grower

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Agilityscots, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hello all,

My 2.5 week old chicks are on chick starter right now, but don't they have to start on a grower at 4 weeks? Or something like that? What's the schedule? And when do they start on layer feed?

Amy

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I know you start layer when they start laying eggs and not before. I think ur right on the starter.....4 weeks but maybe someone else will be able to say if i am wrong [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  3. jaseg

jaseg Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2007
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Is the Chick started medicated? I keep my chicks on starter for 6-8 weeks, then switch to grower. Same for Turkeys.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Grower does not exist where I live. I keep them on starter. In fact, so many feeds are now "Start & Grow" types and are made to take them all the way to laying age. You don't have to switch at all.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've got mine on Purina Start & Grow. Had them on the medicated for the first 6weeks. When we ran out we switched to non-medicated.

6. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Okay, I checked my bag, and it says "starter/grower". So how long do they stay on that until they start layer feed? Thanks for your help, everyone!

Amy

P.S. Not doing medicated. I keep my brooder extra clean and don't believe in medicating as a preventative for diseases that aren't yet present. Same philosophy I follow with my dogs.

7. speckledhen

Till they start laying, or at least through 18-20 weeks old. And with the Purina and others that only have Amprolium, a thiamine-blocker, as the medication, there is no withdrawal period before eating the eggs. You can just keep them on Starter/Grower till that first egg pops out.

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

How long kind of depends on the breed is what I have read. I've seen that most keep them on the grower until they start to lay and then they switch over to Layers Pellets.

I've even read that some people give their hens when there are chicks about. It wont hurt the hens but the Layers Pellets don't have enough protein for the chicks.

I think I got all of that right. I'm new to this as well. I've only had chickens since the week before Easter.

9. speckledhen

The layer pellets have way too much calcium for chicks and can cause kidney/skeletal damage, plus the lack of protein. As I said, in some areas, there is no grower at all to be found. I have never even seen it and I have maybe six feedstores within 30 miles of me. So it's either starter or combination starter/grower.
    When I had a broody with chicks, she and they both ate chick starter because it was dangerous for them to eat layer and she needed the extra protein and vitamins to get her weight and strength back up.

10. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Thanks again, Cynthia! I think I had read the breakdown of first starter, then grower, then layer in a book...so I just wanted to make sure that my DuMor Starter/Grower was okay, and how long to feed it. It's good to know that if I have hens and chicks at the same time in the future, they should all get starter for safety. You are a font of knowledge, SpeckledHen! [​IMG]

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by