When to start hatching chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brahmabantam, Feb 11, 2015.

1. brahmabantam

brahmabantam Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    I was just wondering when the best time is to start the incubation ?

What Month and stuff like that.

Thanks

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Will you be hatching your own eggs? What are your outdoor temps? You can start incubating any time you can collect eggs that have not frozen. (I think they'd be more successful if the temperature was more moderate... around 40 during the day. Of course you also want to take into consideration what you have available for brooding those chicks. Will you be brooding them in the house? Garage? Coop? What size brooder do you have? What will the outside temps be at their coldest when the chicks are moved outside, either to be brooded, or when they're weaned from the brooder??? In other words, what ever works for your situation is what you should do.

3. brahmabantam

Apr 11, 2014
    They are eggs from my chickens. Outdoor temps are below freezing.
    I'm not using an incubator, I am letting my broody hen do it.(she is really broody sleeps on nest).
    The chicks would be in a sun room or garage.

thanks

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I guess you'll have to decide whether to break her or let her have a go at it. Some folks have successful broodies in the winter.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Actually, if you leave them with the hen she should be able to keep them plenty warm herself. Another user - Aart - lives in Michigan and just had a hen hatch out some chicks. Sounds like they're doing just fine.

6. brahmabantam

Apr 11, 2014
    Yes, my hen hatched them out last year. I am just wondering when a good time is to put the eggs under her.
    I will be taking the chicks (if I hatch any this year) and putting them in a brooder. Last year we had trouble with the broody hen killing hatched chicks.
    This is a different hen.

Thanks

PS last year that hen hatched two broods.

7. brahmabantam

Apr 11, 2014
    So when is the best time to do it??
    Beginning of March or April??
    Thanks

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You're the only one who can answer that. How much do you want to fuss with them? How long are you willing to keep them in the house, if that's your plan?

9. brahmabantam

Apr 11, 2014
    Okay, because I thought that they would be in a cold area, with only a heat lamps.
    So.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Then I would wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by