When to start kitchen scraps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilbirdee, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I'm sure that this topic has been discussed before but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for under "search".
    My girls are 5 weeks old. When can I start veggies & such. I've tried yogurt. No interest. They got their first plate of chopped up hard boiled eggs today and that was quite a hit. Hubby is bugging me about when to intrduce them to more. I have the list of what they can, and should not, eat. But need to know when.
    As usual...thanks for all your help. I don't know how we would have even made it to 5 weeks without the advise & support that I have received here.
    I love you guys. Sniff.

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I should think 5 weeks is old enough as long as they have had access to grit. Have you taken them outdoors yet?

3. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I sprinkle a little grit on their feed every day.
    No, no outside time yet. It's just been too damp & chilly here in WA.
    I am working on their run though and will let them out as soon as we have a day that reaches 70.
    I'm going to free range them eventually, but I'm being the overprotective mama and want to start them out in a run attached to their coop. That way I'll have control over them until I feel comfortable enough to open the gate and let them into the big bad world.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I started small amounts at 3 weeks. I haven't offered grit but they are in a dirt floor coop and it is sandy here. Looks like they have to discover that the treat tastes good or is food, then when they do, they go nuts with it.

I have noticed that people here start treats at all different ages. I wanted them to associate the words I say and the time of day with the treats, to teach them to come to me when I call them, so I started pretty early. Some would say too early, probably. But the quantity I use is small, like one heel of bread torn into tiny pieces for 51 chicks.

Of course I may be doing it all wrong!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    BTW -- I read here that they will learn yogurt is good if you mix a little chick feed into it. Tried it, and it worked great!

6. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My two little fuzzies are about 10 and 14 days old (estimate because Orscheln's didn't know). They don't like yogurt either and I did try mixing it with their food. The BO had pasty butt when she came home, so I'm hesitant to try anything else for a while. They're pretty tame already without treats. I have to be careful if I leave the door open. Marigold (BO) will hop out to be held.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by