When to start layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HeatherTheMommy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    I have 12 hens. I believe 9 of the 12 are now laying. They are about 22 weeks old. My silkie, easter egger and my dominique arent laying yet. I need to buy feed this week. Should I buy layer feed or continue with starter feed? They do have oyster shells in a seperate dish for calcium.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    *If* you want to use layer feed there is no reason not to start it now - alternatively, you can feed grower/all-flock type feeds from here to eternity provided you continue providing the oyster shell as you already are. I like Plan B because I have a mixed flock and layer ration is not always a good choice for every bird in my coop, using a feed that is safe for everyone and giving OS on the side simplifies my life.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2. If you have all hens of the same age, you can start now. Or use Plan B above indefinitely.

4. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    They are all around the same age

5. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

You could buy layer food but it would continue grower feed with oyster shells on the side. When they get older you can switch or just stay on grower feed with oyster shells on the side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by