When to start layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by specsussex, Aug 17, 2013.

1. specsussex

specsussex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    midcoast, Maine
    The organic layer feed that I am planning on switching to says 16 weeks. But I've also been told to wait until they start to lay before switching to layer feed. Any advice?

2. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    This isn't very helpful, BUT I've heard tons of different people saying different things. Some people have even said to start feeding them layer food at 6 weeks. That shows their are LOTS of different opinions! I'm hoping someone more experienced will reply to you! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If the bird is a production type bird, known to be quick to lay, ie, 17-19 weeks? Either way is just fine.

However, we have breeds that don't start laying until 30 weeks, and often much later than that. Thus, there's no way I want them on all that calcium laced layer feed for 3 months before they'll lay. The potential damage to their renal system is far too great for me to risk anything like that. Layer wouldn't give them a bit better nutrition either, so they stay on a 19% grower feed for much, much longer.

Hope that helps. You'd need to know whether your birds are early layers or wait until they are much older to begin laying. That's the key to your question.

1 person likes this.
  4. specsussex

specsussex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    midcoast, Maine
    Thank you Fred, that does help. I have Buffs, EEs, Spec Sussex, and Delawares, so I am probably looking at a longer time before laying. I guess I'll hold off for a couple months, or until they actually start laying...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by