When to start lockdown.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by terrilhb, Jan 17, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Ok my 1st time incubating. Put 12 eggs in the incubator at 8pm on Dec 31. Should I start lockdown tonight at 8pm or tomorrow night at 8pm. Also should I put sponges in there for extra humidity? And 1 more question please. When the eggs hatch and the chicks dry can I grab them quickly and take them out or leave them until all hatch? thanks:fl

2. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I would do it tomorrow night, and I usually wait until my chicks are walking around well before taking them out. You don't have to wait until they all hatch because sometime the new babies interfere with some others hatching. I've had some peck at others shells or poke them in the eye as their head sticks out. Just don't let too much air get in the incubator. Good luck, the first time is always the most exciting, but it's always fun!!

3. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    oh, also, I've never used sponges, just filled up the tray, but I don't think it would hurt.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    thank you. I really appreciate your help. This is so nerve wracking. [​IMG]. But after these hatch we are planning on starting some more. Gone chicken crazy. LOL

5. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I would really like to know too, I set my on the same day but at 3:00 pm. I set the bator up and set it in the morning for 21 days so should I have changed it and reset it at 3 for 21 days. I have binsea mini advanced and this is my first hatch too. When should lockdown start?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by