When To Start Oyster Shell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrygirl911, Sep 11, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi I have 10 chicken outside that 5 of them are 19 weeks old one is a roo and 5 that are 17-18 weeks old all pullets and i also have 8 5 weks old in the brooder in the house. My question is when do i need to put out the oyster shell for the older ones that are outside in the coop already and with the different ages is it ok to feed them all the grower feed and give the older ones the oyster shell untill they all get to the age where they can all eat the layer feed.

2. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    any help would be greatly appreciated

3. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    please help

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like you could put your oyster shell out now. You might have an egg in a week, lol!

If you feed them all together when the other ones come out of the brooder, you might want to get feed without the extra calcium, like the grower feed and offer oyster shell on the side until the younger ones are old enough to lay.

Oyster shell on the side (in a container) won't hurt the smaller ones. But if it is in the layer pellets that they eat, it could cause problems.

5. ChickensAreSweet

Oh and don't forget grit! Some will say you don't need it for just layer feed, but unless you can be sure they will find some in the dirt where they scratch, I feel they need it if they are free ranging and getting treats (eating grass).
    [​IMG]

6. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    thank you for letting me know they have little peblets that they pick up from outside but i will get them some grit do i just throw it out in the yard or do i need to add it to the food

7. ChickensAreSweet

You can put it in a little dish or throw it in the yard (but the mud might bury it). I put mine in a dish to save $.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by