When to start peppers?

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Hello, all! My estimated last frost date is May 6th, or so. When should I start my peppers? I'm hoping to have a plant sale, so how many weeks in advance would give time to get a good sized, but not huge plant? Thanks in advance!

I start my pepper and tomato transplants from March 28 - April 7. I usually plant them about the 3rd week of April but usually have to cover them once or twice from a light frost.

I start them inside in the first week of march with a grow light and then plant outside the week after mother's day. Once I started using a grow light for seedlings a few years ago instead of the window for light the whole freaking game changed and I will never go back. Everything grows well and sturdy and leafy.

I plant our sometime between April 12-May 5th every year. I started mine a week or two ago. Hot peppers also need more heat and time to germinate and grow than sweet peppers like bells. Especially if you’re growing superhots.

If you're growing to sell and not plant, I would recommend investing in grow lights, seed mats, and a thermostat. Peppers like soil temp at least 65 F/~18 C, preferably hotter. You know your last frost date...do you know when the soil temp outside is around 65 F? I'd start them 8-10 weeks before that time, and you should have some decent sized plants to sell. As a buyer, biodegradable pots are awesome since you can just break up the bottom and plant as is with a thorough soak, so if you have an inexpensive source of those, I'd go for that.

I agree 8-10 weeks. You hey won't be huge but should be about 6" by then depending on variety.

Hot peppers seem to take longer to get decent sized than sweet ones for some reason.

I plant peppers out into the garden mid to late may depending on variety. We have a May 6 (ish) last frost as well. I am starting mine next week.

I start them inside in the first week of march with a grow light and then plant outside the week after mother's day. Once I started using a grow light for seedlings a few years ago instead of the window for light the whole freaking game changed and I will never go back. Everything grows well and sturdy and leafy.
Not to derail, but what grow light do you use?
This will be my first year starting seedlings inside. I have a full spectrum aquarium light, or a pink grow bulb I got for pond plants. Think either of those would make a difference?

Not to derail, but what grow light do you use?
This will be my first year starting seedlings inside. I have a full spectrum aquarium light, or a pink grow bulb I got for pond plants. Think either of those would make a difference?
The pink grow bulb would probably work for germination but the full spectrum would work better for actual growth. The main thing that determines if they will work well for you or not is size and ability to move them up and down. Basically you will be limited by the amount of area that your light can illuminate fully, as any plants on the parameter will get leggy or simply fail. Placing them closer to the light at first (by moving it down or putting them on some kind of platform) will help prevent legginess. After that you'd just move them down (or the light up) as they get taller.

Back
Top Bottom