1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to start quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TarheelBirdy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there....I am new to the area of quail....I raise guineas and have never raised quail. However, my new husband used to raise quail until his grump ex wife told him that was common and redneck and he shouldn't do it.

SOOOOO.... to the point [​IMG] We have 30 acres and an aviary that includes seperate areas for incubators, then small cage then medium cage, then large room - all for the keets. Mark now feels that we could together raise quail like he used to.

Are we too late this year? What is the season and time-of-year schmatics of quail? Where is the best place to get eggs?

2. It is not too late in the season. You need to prepare for all the necessities of your species of quail. Build a pen/coop/really cool house for them. Get a high protein diet lined up (that's not always easy) for them. And Keep em away a safe distance from your guineas.

3. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I am in the same place you are! I am looking at quail eggs too. Allot of breeders on here sell them and that would be better then ebay. Once my peacock eggs come out of my incubator I plan on quail eggs going in.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    C&Rman :

I am in the same place you are! I am looking at quail eggs too. Allot of breeders on here sell them and that would be better then ebay. Once my peacock eggs come out of my incubator I plan on quail eggs going in.

MOST OF US THAT SELL HERE ARE THE MAJOR SELLERS ON EBAY [​IMG]

5. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Oh I didn't mean anything bad by it. It is just here you get to kinda get to know the seller, and not so much on eBay.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:MOST OF US THAT SELL HERE ARE THE MAJOR SELLERS ON EBAY [​IMG]

I agree, I think most of the 'big' sellers on ebay are the ones who are the most helpful here [​IMG]

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I once had an ex-wife like Mark. I traded her for things like deer rifles, deer stands, crappie boats and crappie poles, and batches of Bobwhite Quail eggs...........and a newer model wife with a 320 acre farm. Life is good. The ex is miserable, I hear. Kudos to you for being a wife who knows what real livin' is! I wish you and Mark the best in your quail endeavor. You've found the place for answers to all your quail questions..... [​IMG]

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Hey, I had one of those too!!! Swapped mine and a house for a blue tick hound and my other shirt....Poor trade on paper, but I think I got the best end of the deal. Man I loved that dog..... Bill

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SWAPPING TAKES TOOO MUCH ENERGY... I JUST THREW MINE TO THE CURB AND NEVER REPLACED HER... MAN WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. NOT TO SAY I WOULD WELCOME THE RIGHT LADY, BUT THE WRONG 1 CAN CERTAINLY COMPLICATE THINGS AND GREATLY INCREASE YOUR MISERY LEVEL [​IMG]

EDITED TO ADD.... THIS IS A 2 WAY STREET AND WORKS EQUALLY WELL FOR THE LADIES TOO (DIDNT WANNA BE ACCUSED OF ANY DISCRIMINATION [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:To be TOTALLY honest, I tend to be a better human with a full time, night woman.... A flaw in my personality, but I know this about me. Left to my own devises I run "amuck" if you will... My bride has spent 27 plus years keepin me on the path. Aint slapped no body or went all the way to jail in years.... [​IMG] Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by