1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to start sexing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Areolyn, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Areolyn

Areolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    I want to say I can sex the mat 6 weeks, but what is your recommendation?

Mine are about 4 weeks now, but I can already tell at least two are cockerels because the comb is bright red and is already starting to get big. If I can I'll get pics later either tonight or tomorrow.

Also, what's the earliest you successfully sexed chickens?

2. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    Examples I have from my 4 week olds:

[​IMG] Pretty sure this is a rooster.

[​IMG] This really looks like a pullet to me; she/he is a standard that got mixed with my bantam special on accident from the hatchery.

[​IMG] This one is iffy. I can't tell if it is a rooster or pullet; its a splash frizzled cochin.

Sorry about the blurry pics; the last two were squirming around. And please don't mind the dates on the pictures, camera's messed up and I don't know how to change the date and time on it.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    4 weeks is a little young to tell gender accurately. Gender is usually more obvious by 6-8 weeks of age. However, right now I am leaning towards the chick in your first photo being the only cockerel for now.

4. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    That's what I'm thinking. Maybe the week after next will be a little easier to tell; I just don't need anymore roosters lol! I have many more but taking a picture of each would be too long and a lot of effort due to their wiggliness. As for the first one, I'm reaaally thinking rooster.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by