when to start swimming

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 6, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    how long can i keep my ducks from swimming before they HAVE to swim? i want to leave it as long as possible so they are big and healthy, i was thinking about 2/3 weeks?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you're talking about ducklings, I let my call ducklings start swimming when they're a day or two old. Only supervised and make sure they have a heat lamp to dry out and warm up under when you take them out. They can get waterlogged and drown so you need to watch them closely.

3. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I waited 4 days for 3 and less than one day for the other...Funny thing is the one that was a day old is the one that was doing the diving...THEY LOVE IT!!! But i suppose you dont have to give them water...they just like it.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    In the wild ducklings start swimming within hours of hatching.

5. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I let mine swim the day after I got them, they were all worn out from coming though the mail all they did was sleep the first day.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i usually wait a week. they don't need to swim, so you can wait 2-3 weeks if you want.

7. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:yeah the longer the better i think

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Within days. They will start to get stinky soon enough for you to reconsider the swimming thing [​IMG]

9. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    that was why i gave mine water...the ducks themselves get smelly...giving them water gives them a chance to get clean (well cleaner again...pigs with feathers)

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ducks and water are meant to go together. I had mine in the water right away. Like someone else said, just watch that they don't get water logged. Have the water shallow enough so they can stand and it will prevent problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by