When to start to worry

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kaitie09, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We have 6 indoor/outdoor cats. They are normally outside from about 7am to 10pm. They have 10 acres, which has us, and our three neighbors on it. They also have about another 10-20 acres on our other neighbors farm. No one traps after and incident where our outdoor cat got caught and had to have her foot amputated. Our on cat Oscar, has been missing. He was not seen by us all day yesterday (but we really were not looking for him), and did not come in last night. Our other cat, Teddy, frequently stays out at night and we never worry about him. Oscar is just, different. He has done this once before, about 2 months ago and was gone for 2 days. It freaked me out so much, he was on house arrest for a week.

I'm just wondering when I should really start to worry. There are no predators that I have seen other than Possums and Raccoons (lived here 20 yrs and have game cameras set up). We have never lost an animal to any predator, and we keep an unlimited supple of cat food to allow them to eat, but not have to worry about the chickens and cats. I'm just thinking he took off into the woods and just decided not to come home last night, and cannot hear us calling him. I'm just needing some reassurance.

2. QH Girl

QH Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    First, [​IMG]

I have an indoor/outdoor cat that just turned 12. He's disappeared a few times, once for almost 2 weeks. He came home skin and bone - we think he was accidentally shut up in somebody's shed. He's been accidentally locked in our attic, horse trailer and a car.

Check anywhere he could have accidentally gotten locked up in your area - barns, shed, closets, trailers. I would give it a few days before I really started to worry though. Cats are very resilient.

3. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Yea, it just always scares us when they go missing. We have an outdoor cat that is seasonal. He stays in the yard all of spring and summer, but once fall hits, he goes down and lives in the neighbors barn. We have just always thought Oscar is not fully right in the head, and that is the main reason we worry about him more.

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hoping by the time you read this Oscar is back home. [​IMG]

No matter how often I tell myself that having an outdoor cat means they WILL go missing, it still worries me sick when my little barncat doesn't appear for meals.
    She absolutely hates thunderstorms & has found herself a Happy Place to hide somewhere in the barn that I can't find.

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I hope Oscar shows up soon. We had a cat disappear for 4 months recently. I had given up on her completely when she suddenly showed up on the roof. I hope Oscar doesn't stay away that long.

6. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I hope Oscar will be back soon. If you have a horse trailer, check the horse trailer. I one accidentaly locked a kitty up in it for a few hours. [​IMG]

7. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    He was meowing at the door 6am yesterday morning. He came in and slept all day so I don't know where he was or what he was doing, but he did not sleep. It was almost 85 degrees that night so I just think he did not fell like coming in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by