when to start treats, grit, etc? newbie here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dobela, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Dobela

Dobela Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    We have 10 chicks of various ages housed together. I have no idea of age even though I asked before (mental overload I think). I have 25 more day old ones coming this week. I will keep them separate fromthe older ones for now.

But do the older ones need something more than starter feed right now? Is it ok to start giving grit and yogurt and such?

Pictures taken yesterday so you can determine age:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i've been giving mine chicks grit from day one and have given them bugs and worms starting at a week old and i have 4-6 week olds together and have 2 5 week old banties in with my 1-3 week olds just because they all get along and the 2 older ones seem to like hanging with the youngers ones better than the older ones

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some do, some say wait. Either way, the feed needs to be at least 90% of their intake.

You should be able to combine hatchery chicks up to about 4 weeks, 3 anyway.

4. plucker

plucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Middle TN
    I've been giving mine grit and treats since about 2 weeks. I don't give much for treats (pureed carrots, broccoli, and they eat grass and bugs while outside in their pen) but They love grit and I assume they need it since their diet is not just feed.

I do give 90% feed which they eat all day but the treats and grit have gotten them to see me as a food source and so they have little fear of me and usually are very happy to see me now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by