1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to stop and start meds?? Sulmet/Gillamyicin/Tylan 50 Advice Need

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Sep 13, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I have had my flock on Sulmet for 2 days now, tomorrow I should have Gillamyicin and Tylan 50. I am thinking about not giving them anymore sulmet after this mornings fresh solution since when I get the tylan 50 they will get it as quick as I can get it in them [​IMG] Can I give them Tylan injection and gillamyicin water solution together?? Ideas/Suggestions??

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Finish the sulmet treatment as directed. You're not giving it a chance to work. Also, switching to other meds right away will do more harm than good, especially to their organs which can fail and possibly cause death. Never mix drugs together. More is NOT better. While you are treating with sulmet, feed your affected chickens scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk. The scrambled egg has extra protein to help build stength and the buttermilk is a probiotic to help their immune system.

3. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    ok, the bottle says for two days which today will be the last day. my flock isn't getting better. I should have gallamyicin and tylan 50 tomorrow. any other suggestions?

thx

4. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    Would you only give tylan to the hens that are real sick and not drinking the med water solution? Today is the last day of sulmet....

tomorrow i will have gallimyicin and the tylan 50 injections

please advise

5. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    Quote:Finish the sulmet treatment as directed. You're not giving it a chance to work. Also, switching to other meds right away will do more harm than good, especially to their organs which can fail and possibly cause death. Never mix drugs together. More is NOT better. While you are treating with sulmet, feed your affected chickens scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk. The scrambled egg has extra protein to help build stength and the buttermilk is a probiotic to help their immune system.

How about yogurt?

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I agree with the above. Coryza is a tough illness. Yogurt is very good to give. I give it to mine all the time as a treat. Plain yogurt is best. Another thing I give mine is peas with Nutri-drench. It has lots of vitamins, minerals and immune boosters in it. Best of luck with the rest.

7. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm a little confused. I read in another post of yours that your chickens had coryza.. now they don't?

8. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    I don't think the sulmet is working that great, in day 3 and it is still going through the flock, but symptoms don't last as long and aren't as severe. Is this normal for sulmet?? .....i found another thread where she used sulmet and galamyicin in the water solution, then did the coryza vacinne after that with a booster to find out which chickens are the carriers and cull them, that is our plan.

We are going to use the Tylan 50 on the birds that are the worst and won't drink/eat as they aren't getting any meds and are seperated...

I am told it takes a couple days for sulmet to start working, so??

I don't know, I am stressed, this sux!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by