when to stop feeding and letting roam. free

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trouthat, May 3, 2009.

1. trouthat

trouthat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    My duck is about a month old we have been feeding it a mixture of raisons, half a smashed bannana, smashed boiled egg,and oatmeal with water added. We have been keeping it outside for a little while when we are to get him familiarized with our property. Are we able to let him out full time by now. Also do we have to feed him the mixture every morning and night or just once or is it optional? We were home over the weekend and we left him outside by him self. He stayed the chicks he has grown up with. Any advise would help.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    what kind of duck?..why arent you feeding a duck food,or at least a meat or gamebird feed,or unmedicated chick feed..if all it gets is what you mix up its not enough for it..I would just leave it with the chickens,,they like company..it is to young to fend for itself..alone in the open it wont live long..if all you are feeding is what you described it must be very hungry..

3. trouthat

trouthat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    We think it is a pekin. We also feed him chicken feed. We ran out of chicken starter so we fed them regular chicken feed this weekend. He eats that and he also eats grass. We decided that we wont feed him duck feed because he eats the chicken starter.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:oh I see...that makes more sense..I wouldnt leave it out by itself..I would just leave it with the chickens,,they dont like to be alone.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Just get him a little duck house to lock him up at night and let him wonder with the chickens during the day. Definitely give him the chick starter until he is about 18 weeks old. That's when I switched to waterfowl feed and some chicken scratch with cracked corn. We have pekin's too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by