when to stop turning?? and a new question .................ADVICE?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nicola, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    do u stop turning at the beggining or the end of day 18? other question in a reply post to tis topic

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    If I start them in the morning, I stop them in the morning! I don't know how others do it, but this works for me! Good luck![​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hi Nicola,

Wish you luck on your hatch. I'n sure you'll have good luck.

If you put the eggs in the incubator on a Monday morning, then Tuesday morning would have been the end of day 1 and the start of day 2. Wednesday morning would be the end of day 2 and the start of day 3. I'm doing this so we are counting together. If I don't use a calendar, I can get confused.

Stop turning at the end of day 18. I don't think the exact time is that critical as the eggs will hatch several hours apart, but increase your humidity and stop turning at the end of day 18.

4. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i've put black rubber stuff(in the bottom of my bator) the kind u put undermats to stop them slipping would this be ok for the chicks to hatch onto or would it stop the eggs moving its for when they hatch so the dont slip and get spraddle leg on the shadecloth that is there and the floor is kind of at an angle and would the black rubber genterate heat? any other suggestion on what i cn put the eggs onto that would be lying around the house if the rubber is bad?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Any one?? [​IMG]

6. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:anyone know if the rubber is bad

7. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I use rubber shelf liner from the dollar store.
    good luck on hatch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I can't say if it is or not... but when I was kid, I was setting by a fire with tennis shoes on... and the rubber got hot and started burning my foot.. I ran to the river to cool it down..

I do not know if hanging on a 99.5 temp range would create any more heat from the rubber or not..

Myself.. I'd be a little leary on special eggs.... If you had crap eggs you could try it and see..

9. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    well its the beggining of day 18 today so hopefullu ill have 5 lil chickies by the end of the week:D

10. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Quote:I can't say if it is or not... but when I was kid, I was setting by a fire with tennis shoes on... and the rubber got hot and started burning my foot.. I ran to the river to cool it down..

I do not know if hanging on a 99.5 temp range would create any more heat from the rubber or not..

Myself.. I'd be a little leary on special eggs.... If you had crap eggs you could try it and see..

I don't think you can compare the heat from a fire to the heat of an incubator. If 99.5ยบ heat would do something bad to rubber, than nobody in Phoenix would ever wear tennis shoes. [​IMG]

Bil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by