1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to stop.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fancy Feather Poultry, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    When do I stop turning day 18 or 19 I have Silkie Egg's and I have people telling me 18 and others telling me 19 im confused!. [​IMG]

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I stopped mine on Saturday which was day 18 for me and they are now pipping. I hope to have my 2 test babies hatched tonight or by morning. I made a homemade incubator and didn't want to do a full set of eggs with it being my first time so I started out with 4 and 2 were a no go. So my DD & me are watching the incubator now.

3. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Whats a DD and is there a difference between Bantms and other chicks I wnt to know day 18 or 19!?

4. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    DD is dear daughter I would stop at day 18.

5. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    R you goth, or emo or sumtin.

6. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    No why??????

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    When in doubt, don't forget our BYC learning Center found on the home page. This is a quote from How to hatch eggs.

Turning
    Turning 3 times a day seems to be adequate for chicken eggs. Turning is essential in the early stages. For the last 3 days of incubation when the bird is preparing to hatch, do NOT turn. If not turned to a fresh position frequently during the early stages, the developing embryo touches the shell membrane and sticks to it causing abnormal growth. Turning the egg aids these movements within the egg, and mimics what a mother hen would do naturally.

It is important that the eggs are positioned correctly, with the small side tilted downward. This is the way an egg lays naturally unless it is shaped more oval. The chicks will turn inside the egg and will be able to pip the internal membrane and get into the air cell. Moving them around during that time messes them up and can cause them to hatch on the wrong end or more in the middle.

It is really good you asked here but when in doubt I always refer to the information on the website as I feel it has been published and tested and is sometimes more reliable than information some people are apt to give.

Good Luck with your hatch and let us know how it goes.

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    You stop on the 18th day, don't forget to raise the humidity. That is one thing some people forget to do and it is one of the most important things.

9. Fancy Feather Poultry

May 30, 2007
    Is there a difference between Bantam and regular chickens eggs I have one site telling me stop turning day 19 and you people tellin me 18. And Poision Ivy I think every one here agrees with me when I say you just give the vibe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  10. Poison Ivy

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Have no Idea what you are talking about. You ask a question & I gave my opinion thats all? If you have a problem then just PM?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by