When to switch feed? by age or by growth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wannabe_goatmom, Sep 11, 2009.

1. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    I have 6 chicks that will be 7 weeks old on Monday. One of them is only about half the size of the others and she isn't getting her feathers in as fast. The other 5 are fully feathered but she only has feathers on her wings and head and she still has fuzz on her back and belly.
    What I am wondering is when to switch their feed. The starter feed I am feeding says to switch at 8 weeks. Should I go ahead and switch all of them or should I keep her on the starter until she gets more feathers in? Is there something I can give her to make the feathers come in faster?
    Thanks!
    Billie Jo

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would change them all at the same time.

3. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Thanks! That's what I was thinking because I didn't want to have to seperate her.
    What sucks is that I need to buy a new bag of starter tomorrow and they will only be able to eat it for a week. LOL that's the way things always go! [​IMG]

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    It won't make much difference if you switch them all to grower or keep them all on starter. In fact, you could keep them on starter till they begin to lay with no ill effects. Chickens are very forgiving. They can live very well on strange diets.

5. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Go ahead and switch. Especially if you're out of starter. Different chicks even within the same breed just can develop at a different rate.

6. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Switching them over a week early won't hurt anything? I don't want to make them sick or anything over a $5 bag of feed.

7. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Nope they won't skip a beat. Or keep em on starter for awhile to help the smallest one if you want. Or give some cooked up eggs & yogurt for treat and extra protein. I've got some 7 wk olds I switched over a week ago and they're just fine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  8. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Thanks everyone for the advice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by