When to switch feed?

Charrisse

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Nashville, Indiana
My guy and gals are going on 7 weeks old. We are about to finish up the third bag of starter feed. Is it time to switch? And to what? Do they need supplementation of oyster shell too?
Thx :)
They do get chick grit and have a sand box and go outside regularly for a few hours of free ranging under close supervision lol

I switch my chicks at around 6 months, (when most pullets start laying, but not all) switching to early could damage the little chicks insides and kill them. So just wait till they're 6 months old.

Oki. I thought Id remembered reading that there was a grower feed or something you switched to before the layer feed. I must be reading to much LOL

yuckyuck.gif
Good luck with your chooks!

That depends upon what you are switching them from and to. I use Purina Start & Grow medicated until they are about 20 weeks old. If any of the birds are laying, which is not likely at 20 weeks, then I switch them to Purina Layena pellets. If no one is laying I will buy one bag of Purina Flock Raiser to feed them. When this is gone then I switch to Layena. I can not speak for other brands of feed. I only use Purina. I tried one bag of a different cheaper brand one time and found their poo was really stinky. As soon as I switched back to Purina it got a lot better.

I do not provide Oyster shell until someone starts laying.

Back
Top Bottom