1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to switch from chick grit to adult grit - anyone know?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisahaschickens, Mar 3, 2009.

1. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Hello all, my first batch of chicks is about 3.5 weeks old now and their first bag of grower feed is on its way in the mail. The feed company says to switch from their starter feed (crumbles) to their grower/broiler feed at three weeks until first egg and then switch to layer feed. Anyway, my babies are on "chick grit" right now so that they can eat the various yummy treats I give them, but I was wondering when the time would be to switch them to regular (grown-up) grit? Since they will be on the new feed, I assume it will have bigger pieces, plus the chicks are getting bigger every day. Any advice?

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I'm new to chicks myself but i think i would start mixing adult grit with chick grit when they go outside. This way they have the option for both. Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong. Good Luck

3. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    I'm very new to this, but I always just switch them from chick starter to cracked corn when they look big enough. About 5-6 weeks I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by