When to switch?? (stupid newbie question!)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LN2008, Aug 2, 2011.

1. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    I have three 4-6 week old pullets. Should they still be on chick feed/starter??

Thanks!

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, for a month or so more. [​IMG]

3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I agree. I keep mine on chick starter for 12-16 weeks then switch to flock raiser until after they are laying. Once they are all laying I switch to layena. For a mixed flock I give flock raiser to all and supplement with crushed oyster shell so the laying hens can get the calcium they need.

4. LN2008

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:So I can supplement it with crushed oyster at this age? The only reason I'm asking is that they seem disinterested in the feed and I'm worried that they're not eating enough. They've had the occasional fruit/veggie treat but that's it.

5. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    I've been curious about this also. My two young pullelts are 14 weeks old. They seem to uninterested in the layer feed I give the older hens. So I leave out two bowls of the raiser feed as free choice. In the evening I shut the young ones in a separate pen and let them eat to their hearts content.

Seems to work well but I wondered if that was ok.

Thanks for asking this 'newbie' question for me! [​IMG]

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:sounds like a plan to me. [​IMG]

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:So I can supplement it with crushed oyster at this age? The only reason I'm asking is that they seem disinterested in the feed and I'm worried that they're not eating enough. They've had the occasional fruit/veggie treat but that's it.

No at 7 weeks they don't need the extra calcium. No need to put it out. I know a lot of folks that use Flock Raiser exclusively and supplement with oyster shell once some of the pullets are laying but if you don't have any at POL there is no need. Young birds can get too much calcium and this can cause problems.

If you have given treats already they may be turning their noses up at the feed in hopes that more treats are on the way. Don't worry though they will eat when they get hungry enough, at least if they are healthy they will. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I dont think they eat as much when its really hot

pam in TX

9. LN2008

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:Good to know since its currently 110 out! They've been slurping the water but the feed is going a lot slower than I expected.

10. montanaSarah

montanaSarah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    my ladies are barely 14 weeks and i just found my first egg!! i still have them on the starter crumbles, should i offer all of them layer feed even though just one has started laying? it was a big surprise when i went to refill their water this evening, so i'm not entirely sure which is laying! haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by