When to switch to adult food

ourlilfarm2015

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2016
Northeast NE
I have 10 silver lace Wyandotte hens I bought them from bomgaars when they were just tiny little things and that was middle of May it is now the middle of August. I have them on starter/grower feed when can I switch to the adult laying hen food?

I would start switching at 18 weeks for that breed. Mix 50/50 start and grow with layers feed for two weeks. If you want to switch to pellets, mix them with scratch grains. Or just toss pellets on the ground as a treat for a couple of days before mixing with the old. Chickens are cautious with new feed. CC

switch over to layer feed when you see the first egg

one of my hens started to lay 2-3 weeks ahead of the others..but since i have 4 other hens that are younger

i continued to give them starter feed until i ran out of starter feed and then switching over to layer feed for alll 5 hens.

chickens can continue to eat starter feed even when they are laying.. i didn't have any problem with the egg shell for the one that started laying early but continue to eat starter feed..

chickens often will lay aroudn 16-18 weeks.. but from my experience 1st egg would be the right time.. but it's a personal preference type of thing

Back
Top Bottom