When to switch to grower feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by adcockfarm, Jan 12, 2017.

1. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi! I have two 4wk 2d old chicks and I didn't know when (or if) to use grower feed from chick feed.
    thanks!

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

When you run out of starter feed....

Gary

3. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    So what you're saying is it doesn't matter? Thanks for the help!

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Do they still make separate feed for starter and grower? Anything I see anymore is starter/grower. Basically your switching from a medicated to a non medicated. If your using non medicated already you don't need to switch. If your wanting to move to a pellet feed I wait until around 10 weeks of age or more then change the entire flock over to an all flock type feed. I use turkey/gamebird finisher as my all flock feed in pellet form. Non medicated starter/grower is an all flock feed in crumble form.

The difference between an all flock and layer is one more protein which is good and two less calcium so better for an all age and gender flock. Toss oyster shell free choice to the layers once a week for calcium supplement.

I don't use medicated chick feed. If you use it then the bags say to switch to non medicated at 8-10 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Thanks a lot! [​IMG]

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Layer feed is easy and that's about all it's got going for it. It's less protein and in all honesty that 3% calcium is still more calcium than a layer needs. Oyster free choice to birds after they start laying is a better plan. People tend to start layer feed too soon and that causes problems too, it's just not a good option in my opinion. All flocks have 1% calcium and no medication. Good for any poultry at any age. With oyster shell the males and non laying birds peck at it but don't consume a lot. The layers take what they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by