when to switch to Layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by new chick 203, Aug 16, 2010.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Do you automatically switch them to layer at 20 weeks or so, or do you wait till they lay?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I personally switch them over when I get the first egg or at 20 weeks if they haven't started laying before then.

ETA: Don't let anyone tell you that switching them early will cause them to start laying. The only thing that determines the age at which they first start laying is their breed and their individual body.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I switched early because I wasn't sure. Didn't seem to hurt my birds. (maybe 15 weeks?)

4. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    I say anywhere around 18-20 weeks when you run out of starter/grower. No need to waste feed.
    (mix the starter/grower and layer for a few days before you totally switch over.)

5. sdjohnny

sdjohnny New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    Quote:what she said

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

OR, you could go to an all-purpose or "FlockRaiser" type of feed and just supply crushed oyster shell free choice. That's what I do. I have different ages of chickens and trying to keep this group from eating that feed, or that group from eating this feed was a pain. The whole flock free ranges.... and the youngsters don't range as far as the Grown Up chickens.

I keep crushed oyster shell in an empty tuna can nailed to an inside wall of the coop, plus I toss some out in one particular location for my duck to get (since she doesn't go into the chicken coop). A few of the layers have "discovered" the outside oyster shell depot and take advantage of it, too.

Anyway, now I just buy chick starter for the babies and all purpose feed for everybody else.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I started mixing chick feed with layer feed about 17 weeks. I still had a bunch of chick feed left however. I'm trying to find someone locally that has chicks so that I can give it away.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yay Chicks! :

I started mixing chick feed with layer feed about 17 weeks. I still had a bunch of chick feed left however. I'm trying to find someone locally that has chicks so that I can give it away.

It won't hurt to use it up by mixing it with layer.

I too usually start mixing layer in at about 18-20 weeks. I have done it out of desperation as early as 16 weeks with the fast developers.​

9. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    thanks everyone. My girls are 13 and 17 weeks old. they have a ton of grower feed left so I'll stick with it for a few more weeks and just put out the oyster shells fee choice now. The big girls are cochins, i think they develop later. Does this sound all right?

10. herechickchick20

herechickchick20 New Egg

Feb 24, 2010
    Hatteras Island
    I switched my RIR at 18 weeks.I got my first egg at 18 weeks 2 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by