when to take away the lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spish, Mar 13, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok i have chicks of all ages and am hoping to move some of the older ones into their new brooder but worried they'll be too cold. the room stays around 12 - 15 degrees constant temp but they are all under a heat lamp right now (in the same small room)

i'd like to move the 4 week old chicks out from under the lamp, they'd be moved to a brooder (bigger, more room) about 2 foot away from the lamp (so still a bit of extra warmth) there would be 8 of them living together, will they be warm enough or do they need a seperate lamp over them? they are all feathered out.....

also when can they have some playtimes outside? on tuesday its meant to be 18 degrees outside, no wind, so a perfect spring day...could the older ones maybe have a first encounter with the grass for a few hours?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Since we start are chicks at 95 degrees and drop 5 degrees per week, unless it is going to be 75 degrees, your 4 week olds will be cold. Especially if they are not fully feathered. Good Luck.

3. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Songster

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    15 degrees Centigrade (about 59 degrees Fahrenheit) is too cold for chicks. At four weeks of age, chicks need a constant temperature of about 23 to 26 degrees Centigrade (75 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit). At six weeks of age and beyond, a constant temperature of 21 degrees is needed for healthy, unstressed chicks and chickens. If you move the four-week-old chicks to a new brooder, they will still need the heat lamp for a few more weeks (if your brooder is indoors). If your brooder is outdoors, not only will the chicks need a heat lamp but the full-grown chickens will need one, too.

18 degrees is still very cold. Full-grown chickens might tolerate that temperature for perhaps an hour at the most. You can try bringing your chicks outside, but I would recommend staying with them at all times and not to give them more than 10 minutes, maximum. When you see them huddling together and not moving, it's time to bring them back inside and under the heat lamp quickly. Viel gluck, bonne chance!

4. newchik715

newchik715 Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    Mine are not yet four weeks old and off the lamp completely. I take them outside for an hour so every day unless it is raining. I did this with my last batch as well and everything has been fine. they are now a year old. the babies i have now are in my den which is the warmest room in the house at about 71 or so degrees. I think whatever you do you need to watch them close and make sure they react okay. loud, sharp, constant cheeping is a good indicator that they are not happy....either too cold or stressed in some way. huddling together is a sign of being cold though some birds just like to sleep that way in general. for the most part you should follow what previous posters have said.

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think you'll find if you do a little research on here that chickens tolerate cold very well, and many keep full grown chickens without added heat well below freezing, even 0F and below. I would move 4 week olds out from under the heat source and into the other brooder, definitely. And I would take older chicks outdoors for a period of time any time I had the chance. You will be able to tell whether they are warm enough. I might even include the younger ones in the outdoor time if they look that feathered to you.

I won't look up C for you because you will find most temps on here in F so you need a handy converter anyway!

Good luck with your chicks.

6. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I am wondering the same thing. I have 3 chicks roughly 2 1/2 weeks old and a duckling that's almost 3 weeks old now and turned the lamp off for the day and put them in their new brooder outside to enjoy the 83 degree weather we had. When the outside temps started to drop, I put them in the indoor brooder ( rubbermaid tub with shavings ) and put them back into the bath tub where they have been only I didn't put the lamp back up.

I am wondering if it is possible to leave it off from now on? They huddle to the duckling and always have ( it's 2x's their size ). I have a thermometer in there right now and it is holding steady at 78 degrees with a closed bathroom door. It is supposed to get down to 63 outside tonight so I made sure to kick on the heat.

Will they be ok?

7. doxies1

doxies1 Chirping

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    A brooder should have a heat source also, and the chicks can move closer for warmth or farther for cooling . Food and water should be available at the edge or colse by the brooder.

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Quote:sorry but my full grown chickens live outside 24/7 through below freezing winters/ice/snow etc (most of the winter is between - 5 and - 20) and have never had a problem with being 'too cold' do people really keep full grown chickens at a constant 21 degrees??

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so lots of mixed opinions here...... but im gonna go with the 'they'll be ok' crew. im guessing chicks born out in the field are not under mum 24/7 for heat so they'll be ok......

if i see they are too cold i can rig up a lamp....

thanks for all the opinions [​IMG]

10. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Well I did it last night, kept the bathroom light on ( don't ask me why though ) I kept an eye on the temps and it stayed at 74 the entire night and when I woke up this morning they were eating and drinking happily! They are already back outside and it's 69 outside but 71 in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: