When to take ducklings off of chick starter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kschwartz, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Okay so I've heard mixed opinions on this topic with people saying you should take ducklings off of the chick starter anywhere from 3-10 weeks.

First of all, I know I'll probably get yelled at but I do use medicated chick starter (Amprolium!) and they are doing absolutely fine with it. I have no concerns about it harming them.

Second, I use a brand called Sprout (sold @ Fleet Farm) and on the bag it says the chick starter feed can be feed up until about 18 weeks, but this is for CHICKENS, correct? So when should I take my Rouens (3 wks.) off of the chick starter?

I only have 2 Rouens and they don't seem to eat as much as I expected but I went and bought a 50# bag anyways and is only roughly 1/3 gone(?), so I hope I will be able to have them on this a little while longer so I didn't end up wasting money...

Let me know. Thanks.

-Katie

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

When I hatch out babies I buy a 20lb bag of chick starter, once that 1 bag is gone I move them onto grower finisher to get the protein levels down. So for the 15 to20 I hatch it take me about 10 days to feed it, plus they are outside from a few days old too.

3. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    All the responses I've gotten have said they should be on chick starter, the non-medicated kind, for two to three weeks. They should also be getting niacin during this time. Then they should be switched to something with a lower % of protein, like grower/finisher and what not [​IMG] Then about a month before they should start laying, offer free choice oyster shell!

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I like the gamebird crumbles that Rural King sells for ducks. It contains niacin and 3 broods of ducks this year have done great on it.

5. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucky Ducky(my Rouen baby) ate chick starter medicated till I ran out..}}}ummmm, he was about 11 weeks old. The medicated was fine I didnt have a problem with it. ~Julie~

6. Kschwartz

Jun 15, 2011
    So I'm still unsure. Someone said 10 days and another say 10 weeks! that's quite a big difference...

7. gofasterstripe

Yep [​IMG] Everyone is different on what they feed, how they feed and how long they fed it. Each to their own I say, If everyone is happy with what they are doing and the ducks are happy, then thats all that matters. [​IMG]

8. gofasterstripe

If you want to get the protein levels down in the feed you have you could always buy a bag of whole oats and mix that in. I mix a scoop of grower with 1/4 scoop of oats because I have goslings and they need low protein. If you have a 50lb bag, dont waste it, use it up.

9. bibkel

bibkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    I have heard too much or long of growth will make them fat. I usually will feed starter until they are about 3/4 feathered out, and I keep them inside during this time.
    I am supposed to, but don't, feed the middle stuff, then on to layer.

I actually will transition them to layer straight from growth. I use crumble for growth, pellet for layer. My chickens and ducks feed at the same time, and they all prefer pellets. They also forage free range at about 1/2 feathered out (babies have been in a separate yard where they can see the grownups. Today is the first day they are sharing both yards, I opened the fence door. Seems to be ok, and the "babies" will probably sleep in the coop tonight, except for my 4 day old baby. The rest are 6-10 weeks old.

10. Kschwartz

Jun 15, 2011
    Yeah the protein level was my main concern. Right now my feed has 18% protein (i don't know to how many parts though?) Would it be okay if I kept them on starter until about 6 wks? Because by then the bag would be pretty much finished off (they are 3 wks. now)? After I take them off of starter what should I put them on and what protein percentage?

Thanks
    -Katie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by