When to take the biddies out....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Feb 22, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Of the incubator and put them in the brooder... like how every so often??? It's getting pretty crowded in my Eco 20!

I did a search but for some reason nothing came up... it kept saying "to general"...?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, it is said, during lockdown, "DON'T OPEN THAT INCUBATOR!" [​IMG] It may compromise the rest of the hatch because that final, higher humidity is so important. Otherwise, the membrane can dry out and literally shrink wrap the chick, killing it inside the shell.

Now, I do have friends that reach in there quickly, give the incy a very fine mist of warm water, and close it quickly.

Congrats on the great hatch? Do you have the Octagon 20 Echo--the basic one? Or the advanced. I just bought the basic one and will be setting eggs tomorrow.....

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Make sure their dry crack the bator & remove them quickly. I did it twice with no problem they kept hatching.

4. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i leave them in there for 3 days... i was told 72 hours... so 72 hours after the first one hatch, i stress over taking the chicks out...

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If there are no eggs currently pipped or zipped in there (in other words, the shells are still solid and uncracked) you can reach in quickly and remove the fluffed up and active chicks. However, if there are ANY eggs in there with pips or zips, do not open the incubator.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Quote:Thank you! YES I have have the Brinsea Eco 20, got it for Christmas (albeit a little late) and this is my first hatch ever!!! So far everything has been REALLY great! LOVE that incubator! [​IMG]

7. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    oh and i forgot...

┬┐PICS?...

8. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    As soon as they are fluffed up and active I pluck them right out. Most of them is only 24 hours. I dip their beaks in water and scatter the starter food on the floor for them to peck at. Soo cute!

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Pics! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    wut...? they don't open their eyes when they first hatch...???

i haven't seen any of my eggs hatch out of their eggs... i just see them in the morning, and at night... crazy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by