1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to take them out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by genevieve, Aug 17, 2011.

1. genevieve

genevieve Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    I have 4 chicks hatched out and one pipped right now. Two eggs are rocking. When do I take the hatched ones out? They are fluffy, running around, and pecking the $h!t out of the poor one that is part of the way out of the shell. If I take them out will my humidity drop and doom the rest of the clutch? There are 13 eggs total, but I think only 12 are viable.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I would say take them out really quick! But im a newbie to this, im doing my first hatch next week. I dont know if that is the right answer but hopefully this will bump you.

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    They can stay in for up to 4 days. If/when you take them out is dependent on you and your incubator mostly. Some people say to take the incubator in the bathroom and run the shower for a few minutes to get it all hot and steamy and take them out there.

If you have a good incubator and can keep it only open for a few seconds, it might be best to take them out, but it's always a risk as you will be dropping the humidity and therefore potentially cause any unhatched chicks to get shrink wrapped inside the egg.

Good luck with whatever you decide. [​IMG]

4. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I've also heard people say that if when you take out the chicks you have a warm wet paper towel to pop in as you take the chicks out, it helps replace the humidity lost. [​IMG]

5. genevieve

May 19, 2011
    Well, now I am wondering if it isn't too dry in there- the hatched shells are dried out, the chicks are dried off- I don't have a humidity gauge in there. Maybe I need to open it up and add in more water anyways??

6. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Its not supposed to be wet in there just humid. You know hot sticky humid summer days don't make you wet, just sweaty. [​IMG]
    If your other chicks hatched fine, chances are, your humidity is fine. [​IMG]

7. genevieve

May 19, 2011
    Well, the one is still stuck and it looks like one has pipped and quit... 4 came out OK so far.

8. Eggscited

Eggscited Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    Wrap the "pipping" (drying out) eggs in a wet paper towel leaving the open area exposed. I've done that a few times for desperate cases in the past, and it worked for me. Good luck!

9. genevieve

May 19, 2011
    Well, I went in to check the one that has been partially out for two days now- some yolk had dried on its wing and stuck it to the side of the hovabator- I dissolved it off and freed it of the shell. Just hope I didn't wait too long and the others are OK- added lots of wet warm paper towels to the incubator hopefully the rest will be OK...

10. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Good luck, keep us posted. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by