When to throw the eggs in the bator out if no hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by megnchicks, Apr 12, 2011.

1. megnchicks

megnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynchburg, VA
    OK, so I have not had a hatch since yesterday mid morning. All of those chicks have been moved to the brooder and doing very well. I had one chick that was in the process of hatching and I think it died because of no humidity when I took the other chicks out. I misted it with room temp water and filled the bottom slots of the bator. However, no activity from that egg or the other eggs in the bator. I knwo some say wait to day 25 before deciding they were no goes. But there is a nasty smell coming from the bator and it has taken over my house. I don't want to throw away an egg that can hatch but my DH is getting iritated (an so am I) at the smell. Can I be safe to assume they are bad eggs?

Megan

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    when I hatch, if the rest don;t hatch within 12-14 hours after the last one, I carefully start to crack the eggs to see if any are still alive. This will do two things, either help the new ones out, and also tell you if they are duds. If theres a stink coming, you definately got a abad egg, if not more in there.

3. megnchicks

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynchburg, VA
    I had 4 shrink wrapped chicks [​IMG] I feel awful/guilty because opening the incubator is what caused them to do that. [​IMG] From now on I iwll never hatch that many eggs at once time again. Besides the chicks that were shrink wrapped I had 7 that just did not even try to pip through the egg. I knew there were about 5 eggs that were very questionable at time of lockdown but I am still so new to this I didn't want to give up on them.

My house already smells so much better. LOL

Megan

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I leave mine in for 2 day's after most have hatched, but that's it then they go in the trash I never experience any smell though.

AL

5. megnchicks

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynchburg, VA
    I had planned on letting them all stay in the bator for a day or two to make sure they all hatched. But with the new chicks and the shells and the eggs still trying to hatch it was getting crowded in there and the chicks were moving all the shells around. Next go around I will only do about half as much. Just because the bator can hold 41 eggs (the amount I put in there) does not mean I should set 41 eggs.

M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by