When to toss my "yolker"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Islandmom511, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Islandmom511

Islandmom511 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I have posted this before but never got an answer...I have 3 pekin duck eggs (first time hatcher) and on day 11. 1 is growing and moving around like crazy, 1 I can't see an embryo but it is has veins, and 1 has never had any veining and is more of a yellow color when candling (never saw an embryo). I have been candling every other day. Just wondering when do I toss an egg that I don't see developing? I have small chickubator so I could use some extra room in there for "lockdown". Thanks so much in advance for your help! p.s. I'd be happy to post candling pics if needed!

2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    From what I read when incubating mine, if it has nice veins keep it. I think I read that unless it smells bad it's okay to keep them in there the whole time, but I've only just incubated my first lot so I'm sure all the more experienced incubaters can chip in [​IMG]

3. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for replying! How do I know if the veins are "nice"? i feel like the one egg does have "nice veins" but the other is not as clean inside but has veins (if that makes sense).

4. Fleezie

Fleezie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    I keep them if they have vibrant red viens. If the viens are gre then toss it. Toss the undeveloped one, they can go bad quikley in lockdown and will kill the rest of your babies.

5. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:Great thanks! so by day 11 they should have veins, right?

6. Fleezie

Fleezie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    Yes, They should have veins by day four [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by