When to toss my "yolker"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Islandmom511, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Islandmom511

Islandmom511 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I have posted this before but never got an answer...I have 3 pekin duck eggs (first time hatcher) and on day 11 of 28. 1 is growing and moving around like crazy, 1 I can't see an embryo but it is has veins, and 1 has never had any veining and is more of a yellow color when candling (never saw an embryo). I have been candling every couple of daya. Just wondering when do I toss an egg that I don't see developing? I have small chickubator so I could use some extra room in there for "lockdown". Also, how do I know if one of them is developing right? I see veins, but it doesn't look the same as the one where I can see the embryo wiggling away...I don't want to toss it if it is good and maybe the embryo is just not as close to the shell so I can't see it? Thanks so much in advance for your help! p.s. I'd be happy to post candling pics if needed!

2. Islandmom511

Islandmom511 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Anyone?

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:If you set them all at the same time, see veins and movement in others, then I would go with the others. Toss the more clear one. Don't toss anything with veins! It's alive! [​IMG] At least it could very well be. Give it a couple more days to see movement.
    Some babies develop faster. And, it could be for many different reasons. Air in your bator, or no air. What type of bator. Temp changes? Room temp? You just never know why for sure why one looks to be developing more than another. Then, you may see it start growing faster. But, don't toss it if it has veins! [​IMG]

4. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would leave it till day 14 personally. If unsure leave it. It positive its infertile then toss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by