When to transfer to warmer? Hatching out all over! LOL

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearz, Jul 9, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I've got 23 eggs in the hatcher right now. 2 out completely, half a dozen others on their way. When can I transfer them? Space is gonna be at a premium soon! (and ain't that great?!)

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    transfer when completely dry and not any sooner unless the warmer has a steady temp.? I would still wait till they dried..about 24 hours.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have a fairly large bator but with lots of eggs, not much room for chicks. I let them dry to the touch, then they go in the brooder at 95 - 100 degrees. I put up a little corral in the corner of the bator with hardware wire...a piece about 4-5 inches high and 12-15 inches long. I make a semi-circle out of it in the corner and duct tape it to the 2 sides. Then I put the new hatchlings in there, usually 2-3 at a time. When they are up and walking pretty well, thoroughly dry (not necessarily fluffed up) I put them on the other side with the other chicks. It's worked great for me.

4. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Thanks for the response Old Time. The final count on the initial hatch was 9 pipped, 8 hatched (2 I had to help) and 2 died when they got their necks stuck inbetween the mesh and the bottom of the hatcher. I tried to save them but was too late. I fixed that problem and we have 6 live ones, so overall I'm pleased. I have about a dozen more good candling eggs going into the hatcher in the next week so I'll keep your advice in mind.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Bearz...sorry about the 2 that got caught. That is one reason I take mine out of the bator. Just seems like there is too much for them to get hurt with. I have a mesh divider between the lightbulb and water dish and the the rest of the bator and I've had chicks climb almost all the way to the top. I had to pull them out and put them in the brooder just to keep them from falling over into the water. The divider is about 6 inches tall and comes within 1 inch of the top but they were still able to almost get over it. It's kinda' like "child-proofing" a house....it can't be done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by