When to turn off the light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wendamus, Feb 19, 2013.

1. wendamus

wendamus Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    I used supplemental light on a timer all winter, and got a great supply of eggs. However, my dogs knock the extension cord out fairly regularly, and this last time I didn't notice for almost a week... and have zero eggs.

Obviously the light is going to be enough soon - I just found my first duck egg... but I keep chickens for several families, and we all count on them for eggs. Are the days long enough for me to just leave the light off now? Or should I supplement for a while longer?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Depends where you live. They need daylight for 12-14 hours to produce best. Or they quit because they were rattled by the change, or the dogs, or something else....

Please secure that extension cord, for safety. If they can get the cords apart, they can get them halfway apart.

3. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    Twelve to fourteen hours of light is recomended for optimal egg production. I've read where some production houses only turn off the lights for five or six hours in a twenty four hour period. I wonder if they get 99% production from their hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by