When to turn on my heatlamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rughooker, Aug 15, 2008.

1. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got 3 cochins. I'd guess they are 2 months old. I also have 4 silkies, maybe 3 weeks old. Do the silkies need a heatlamp when the temperature goes down in the 50s at night? If I sneak into the coop, they are all huddled together. I thought that they were cold, so I've been turning the lamp on at night. Three of my silkies have died ( I had 7 to begin with). Maybe they're too hot. I"m new at this and don't know what to do. I feel like I did as a first time mommy 39 years ago! I'm terrified I'm killing my chickies! [​IMG]

2. rughooker

I just went out to the coop(10:30pm) and the 3 cochins and 4 silkies were all huddled together in the opposite corner of the heatlamp. Are they trying to tell me they're too hot? Should I still keep it on to warm the coop a little or turn it off? PLEASE SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER SOON! I'm going nuts! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    What is the temp in their coop? I know you said it was in 50s outside but are they in somewhere contained with no drafts etc?
    At that age they still need it to be at least 70 at night I think. 50s is cold! Mine weren't at that temp until they were much older and bigger.
    Hopefully some others with more experience will answer.
    At that age also they will huddle together at night if no place to roost. Do you have roosts in with them or are they on the shavings? As long as they can get away from the heat source if they get too hot, but still stay warm, then you're fine.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Baby chicks need the temp to be 90 - 95 the first week, decreasing by 5 degrees a week, until you are down to 70 degrees and/or your chicks are mostly feathered out; at about 5 to 6 weeks. Your silkies need the temp to be about 80 to 85 degrees, so yes they need the light. Your 2 month old cochins don't necessarily need it, but it won't hurt them to get a little warm. They were more than likely huddling to keep warm, not to get away from the light. Too hot chicks will also pant and spread their wings away from their bodies.

5. rughooker

Why don"t they go under the heatlamp, then if they are cold? I went in there awhile ago and it felt alot warmer than the outside temp. (60 degrees) [​IMG] I think the cochins are just sitting together and the baby silkies are lying close to them. But what do I know? I'm a NEW EGG [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I would say if they're huddling in the corner opposite the heat lamp they're probably too hot. They maybe dying because they're piling up...not huddling.... trying to get away from the heat.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do you have an outdoor type thermometer that you can set in the coop for about half an hour to get a reading? If the temp. without the lamp is around 80, you don't need the lamp. If it's much cooler than that, use the temp to about 80 degrees near the heat lamp and as long as they have room to get away from it, they should be fine. Be very careful about using a heat lamp in a coop. Make sure that it's securely hung.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by