When to turn the heat lamp off??

CT_Todd

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
Hebron, CT
The chickens are now 5 weeks old are currently in my garage in a large dog crate.
The coop is appox 2 or 3 days from being completed.

Still have nice weather here in CT, warm days and the nights in upper 60s/low 70s..Currently the heat lamp is on almost all the time..(if warm out and I am home I will unplug but will plug it back in at dusk) Its keeping the temp around 80 or so. The question is how soon do I shut the heat lamp down for good? They will probably be in the coop by the weekend with no heat lamp.

How is the feathering out going?

If they are fully feathered you can ditch the heat lamp now.

If not in a few days, the temperature under the lamp should be about 75 during week 5 and 70 during week 6. Once the birds are fully feathered or the night time temperature is above the recommended brooder temperature you can ditch the heat lamp.

well, we put our chicks out at 3 weeks. With no lamp or heat. As long as they have got MOST of their feathers then you can saftly put them outside, and do away with the heat lamp.
smile.png

Mine have gone outside with no heat lamp @ 5 weeks.... They seem very happy, about 80% coverage of thier bodies in feathers, and they seem to love being out in the open.

If the temps are high enough and they have enough shelter then sure turn the lamp off. Though I have chicks younger outside the stay warm at night with mom. You could just turn it off during the day. Night too if there are enough to keep warm.

Last edited:
I usually turn the heat lamp off really early, but I live in Virginia where the overnight temps are still pretty high. I think you're fine to turn the heat lamp off now if they're fully feathered. Give them a few days in the garage without the lamp and move them to the coop without the lamp and that should transition them fine.

Sounds like it's time..they are 2 or 3 days away from being put out in the coop so everything seems to be inline. Plus its will still be realtively warm around here for another 2 or 3 weeks...

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom