When to unveil the nest box to the ladies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjhere, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jjhere

jjhere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Smidge north of Seattle
    I read somewhere on here that the nest boxes should be covered when the pullets are younger to discourage them from hanging out in there before they're ready to lay. They are now 14-16 weeks old. Should we open them up now or wait longer? (I think I'm secretly hoping that opening them up will miraculously result in eggs - LOL).

Thanks,
    Julie

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I opened mine at 16 weeks and put some decoy eggs in as well. I think as long as your bird are roosting well they should stay out of the boxes except for laying. I got my first egg at 18 weeks from a Barred Rock. I say open for business.

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    One of mine laid her first egg @ 16 weeks I could tell as her comb got bigger and bright red so if yours are looking close get some fake eggs and go for it

4. lisa new chickens

lisa new chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    I have 3 hens and 2 roos. I have one hen that is now laying (in a corner of my 4x4 coop. When I put a box in there, she will lay in another place.[​IMG]. she is a silkie. I have 2 other hens that will be laying soon. I am not sure to put a nesting box in the coop because the corner seems to be fine. any suggestions?

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I've found putting some kind of fake eggs makes it a good place to lay. My silkies laid in a little box on the floor underneath the regular boxes I've seen people use those covered kitty litter boxes for them too they had a different spot that they slept in....good luck golf balls or anything like that will work

6. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    I didn't cover up my boxes for a good while and they just kept sleeping in them lol. I did finally cover them up as I knew they shouldn't get to accustomed to sleeping there. My chickens are 16 weeks old too so I may finally take the covers off and see what happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by