When to "winterize" the coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Oct 31, 2014.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    So I'm in TX and have a 3 sided coop and the 4th side is hardware cloth. My plan is to plexi glass part of the open side when it starts to cool off, I'm guess at least another month, but when should I start to worry about it? Tonight it is going to get "cold" at 43 degrees for the low and tomorrow will be a low of 45 degrees. The rest of next week will be in the mid 50's for the low. Maybe it will finally kill off the mosquitoes! At what temp do I really need to be concerned about keeping my guys warm? I added extra bedding for tonight and know that they will be fine I'm just trying to not get caught off guard.

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I usually winterize my coop just before the temps start dropping below freezing at night.

3. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Here is their house so you get an idea

[​IMG]

Here are my guys just because I finally took a pic of them. They are eating out of my older sons hand :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is an adorable pic. I don't know how your house is sitting, facing? but I live where it gets very cold and leave south facing windows open all year round just make sure no draft is blowing directly over them. They need really good ventilation. and they have little down coats on under those feathers.

5. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Thanks :) I thought it was facing south east, but just pulled out my compass and it faces mostly east. I can't really change the way it faces either, however it is very sheltered between the back wood fence and a side wood fence. Good old suburbia so out back yard gets very little wind and is always much warmer than out front, which sucks for most of the year! The roof has a 2 in gap covered in hardware cloth so there is lots of ventilation even if I cover part of the front. I wouldn't cover the door with anything.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I made a shade out of the drop cloths you buy for painting not the plastic but the material can't think of what they are called but I actually made a shade on the door that faces west since that's where we get most wind I roll it up on nice days and roll it down when we're to get rain and wind.and snow like is expected tonight. what ever you use make sure they can't chew on it and swallow it. Ducks are very hardy, and I would rather them be on the cool side than too warm. I like your house it has good ventilation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by