1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when to worm your girls?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by herechilychiky, Mar 7, 2014.

1. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    I have 6 ladies that are 18 weeks old. They have not started laying yet. 3 EE's 2 BR and 1 RIR. One of my EE's have runny stools intermittently and have different colors but no green or yellow. She has bright eyes, eats well, stays with the flock and there are no ruffled feathers. I live in Fla. with the rain and they are on a sand/dirt floor that I clean 2 times a day (picking up droppings). The rest of the flock has completely healthy stools. I think I need to worm them but want some direction on this from some of you who have been doing this awhile. I don't want to be giving them meds. just for the heck of it. Thank you in advance.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I almost never worm. Maybe 3 times in my life. In Florida you may need to do so occasionally.
    My best advice is to take a fecal sample to a vet and they will be able to tell you what types of worms are present and the parasite load. That will tell you if you need to act and what anthelmintic to use. Not all are effective against all worms.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm waiting for signs of worms. Had chickens for 4 years now, still waiting. Obviously I'm in an area where it's not of great concern but still don't see the need to worm annually for the sake of worming unless your birds have worms.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What are the signs of worms and how do you know your chickens have them?

5. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    ahhhhh . .... the real question.. (worms being all inclusive) how do you know? besides ooky poop and skinny birds.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    When your birds are lethargic, slowed or stopped eating/drinking/laying eggs, possible watery or green poop...no evidence of external parasites...then most likely they have internal parasites. Birds can have worms causing internal damage without seeing them feces. Worms weaken the chickens immune system opening the door for all types of diseases to invade their system. Then people end up introducing antibiotics when worms are the root cause of all the problems. Your soil dictates how often you should worm. Warm moist or wet soil may require frequent wormings. Cold or cool soil, mountainous/rocky soil or hot desertlike soil may require less frequent wormings. If their feet touch the ground, birds will eventually get worms.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    fecal sample

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by