When Two Black Sex Link Chickens fall in love?

Flockidoodle

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Hello everyone!

Just a quick question to some of the more savvy flock owners and breeders in the BYC community. If I have a small flock of Black Sex Link chickens and I chose hatch the eggs, what type of chickens will I get? This may sound like an odd question but from all of the research I've done, I simply get the answer of "Something Else". I am curious to know if the offspring of the Black Sex Link Chickens revert back to the original bloodline of the parents, (some variation of it anyway) or if I will end up with "something else" altogether. My question is asked on the idea of creating more of a flock for the purpose of egg production, and possibly meat. Has anyone here ever had experience with offspring of the Black Sex Link Chickens?

I do have a few years experience in raising chicks and chickens but this is my first go round with the BSL. They were highly recommended from a local farmer who raises them for meat and egg production, but he has the original parents which I believe in his case are a Rhode Island Red with a Barred Rock Hen. I understand that the BSL's are a hybrid so I'm not sure what happens come hatch time. Any experienced responses are welcome.

nicalandia

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
Quote:Let me use my Genetic calculator on my Brain so we have a hen with the following genome.. E/eWh s+/s+ b+/b+ and we have a roo with the following genome. E/eWh S/s+ B/b+ Mated together the Results will be... 75% of the chicks will hatch black(50% of them with headspot visible on the chick down regardless of gender) 25% will be Wheaten like RIR, 50% of them will be barred regardless of gender, BUT not visible at hatch(cant sex wheaten chick down) so all in all you can expect 50% of the black males to look like an original Black Sexlink males(50% will be solid black) , and 50% of the black females to look like Black Sexlink females but 50% of them will be leaking Silver instead of Gold and 50% will be leaking gold.. off the 25% of the Wheaten chicks, 50% will be Barred, 50% of the barred ones will be gold Barred Columbian and 50% will be silver barred columbian like Delawares.. but the number to hatch to see them are huge.. let see, say if you hatch 100 eggs, 25% of them will be wheaten based.. so thats 25 birds, of that 25 birds 50% will be Barred, thats like 12 birds, of that 12 birds about 6(50%) will be Silver Barred Columbian..

Last edited:

Flockidoodle

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Quote: Hmm. Soo.. What you are saying is....

If I hatch any of the eggs, I should in fact, get a chicken..

I do believe that for my first post, I got a little more than I bargained for :) Thanks for the reply! I do kind of see the long term picture in a shortened version.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
You'll get a mixed breed, mixed-up chicken is what Marvin is saying in genetics-speak.
Black sex links are usually from a red or gold rooster over a barred hen-that could be a Barred Rock or Dominique or a Cuckoo Marans hen or any barred hen. When you cross two BSLs, you might get genes that show up from either parent of those birds.

Top Bottom