when well my hens start setting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brooks83, Mar 22, 2011.

1. brooks83

brooks83 New Egg

Mar 21, 2011
    [​IMG] well i have some game hens that i have put a rooster with for about 2 weeks and my hens have been laying every day my question how long well they lay before they go to setting there eggs

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:It doesn't have anything to do with a rooster it's a hormonal thing with the hens! They'll go broody when they decide to. You can't make them!!

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Barred is right. A hen that goes broody will do so with or without a rooster, whether or not the eggs are fertile--and whether or not they are wooden eggs.

It also has a lot to do with the breed of the bird. A lot of chicken breeds have had the broodiness bred out of them and will never be setters. Among my own hens, the best brooders by far were black Australorps, but I've also had a Brahma and a Wyandotte go broody.

When a bird goes broody she sets in the nest for days, growls (or pecks) when you go to take eggs, and tears out her own breast feathers so she can better incubate the eggs.

4. theberlinfam

theberlinfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I've read that many bantam breeds are good brooders! A lot of people use their bantams to hatch eggs for them.

5. theberlinfam

theberlinfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Hernando, FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by