1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When wil my bantam Cochin start laying ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeauTabiano, Nov 3, 2008.

1. BeauTabiano

BeauTabiano Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Prunedale, California
    shes already 7+ months old and she hast layed yet

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Bantam Cochins are notoriously poor layers, as are the giant/standard Cochins. Hope you didn't buy her for egg production. She will be better suited for a great pet.

3. BeauTabiano

BeauTabiano Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Prunedale, California
    i bought her as a pet [​IMG]

im a vegitarian i dont eat eggs any way lol just wondering

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have quite a few banny cochins, buff and partridge, they were hatched this year and I don't expect eggs untill spring. They are not good for more than a clutches worth a year, not in my oppinion. What they are good for is setters and mothers. I don't think you can buy a better mother or setter then a banny cochin hen. Thats why I have them. I don't loose chicks with those hens on the watch.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    This is my first banty cochin (and first flock, to be honest). Tribble is just a wee slip of a thing at just over a pound. She's teensy. I can see what a good momma she'll be if I ever decide to get her some fertile eggs. She's great about keeping the 3 standards in the same area, and calls for them if they get too far.

6. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    She sounds wonderful. I got one of my hens becuse she was such a good mother she was litterally dying. I bought 10 partridge cochin bantams that were about 2 weeks old from a lady. I told her I didn't want to brood them, did she have a hen that I could also buy. She said she did, but she was about to die. The lady had done everything she knew of to kick her off a nest she had been sitting for 4 months.. no eggs for 30 days.
    It was a match made in heaven. The hen fattened right up when she had 10 babies to show how to eat and peck. She was such a good mother that even now, as the roosters are learning to crow, she demands they all sleep with her, and stay close by. Im sorting the babies off and hope she will find a "normal" state of life untill she can hatch her own eggs this coming spring. The fun part is this hen was less then a year old.
    Im sure your hen will be a wonderful mother and bring you allot of enjoyment watching her care for her chicks.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If we ever let her - we've got a suburban lot w/ no roosters allowed. i'd hate to give her eggs and have to rehome/eat the roos.

But chicks... if she'd accept them... would be so much fun!

i love catchign Tribble. You walk up to her, put both your arms out like you'd going to hug someone, and she spins in tiny circles before giving up and resigning herself to being picked up.

8. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    That is just to darn cute.

9. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    my little banty cochins were hatched out may 10th and they are laying up a storm.They started about 1m or maybe 3wks.ago.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Kel, that gives me hope for Shadow, who was hatched about May 25. Cant wait to see her tiny tush in a nest box!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by