when will a broody start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melissaowens, May 5, 2009.

1. melissaowens

melissaowens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    i was given a rir broody that had her chicks taken from her around a week and a half ago, she doesnt seem veryhappy unless she has chicks. my cousin gave her to me because she would just sit by the brooder pen and try to get into it. she seems to be eating and drinking, but she doesnt seem happy at the others.

how long will it take her to get out of this stage?

how long will ahe start laying again?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There's no definite answer to this. When she's ready. The move would disrupt laying as well, so she has two strikes against her.

3. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:One of mine is doing this also. I am worried also. She isn't eatting or drinking water. I have to pick her up (she yells like a banchee real loud) but I pet her and talk to her and move her far away to the front yard with the others. What does she do...she heads to the back to get into the brood spot she likes. I closed her off from it but she will just sit there next to the closed door and brood right there not moving all day. Reminds me of a brooding teenager not getting their way LOL, I have one of those also!! .

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    There are some post about breaking a broody of being broody

I believe it said you should put them in a wire dog crate [​IMG]

Try a search and you should be able to locate it

Good luck !

oh by the way
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  5. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Oh I love Broody hens, wish I had another. I would take advantage of that, LOL.

6. melissaowens

melissaowens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    i would take advantage of it, but for some reason she wont take any of the eggs we put under her.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yes, the method is to put them in a wire crate with a wire bottom for a few days, no bedding, and with the hen's bottom exposed to air. Keeps their underside cool is the theory.

8. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:Yes, the method is to put them in a wire crate with a wire bottom for a few days, no bedding, and with the hen's bottom exposed to air. Keeps their underside cool is the theory.

OK I will try this one. She is now in a wire dog crate but has bedding in it. I will remove the bedding, place the crate up some on afew bricks to allow air to flow. Yes I did notice her tummy was very warm so this will help get the air flowing under her. I will try it and let you know. thanks everyone!!! [​IMG]

9. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    I am kind of new at all of this but my third hen has gone broody...the first one hatched ten of thirteen various eggs...I do not need any more chicks! I have sixty five chickens now, eight ducks and four geese...this second hen, Zoey is in the zone...I gave in and stuck two goose eggs under her...if she quits on me, I have the third hen who just started the broody behavior yesterday...in the zone she is...I can shift the goose eggs to her if I have to I guess...I hope this works...I would not mind two little goslings running around...the adults were adults when I got them so having the opportunity to raise goslings from day one would be fun...I think the geese are my favs...it is a toss up tho...the ducks are precious...four Rouns and four Pekins...I wanted runners but these eight little ones needed a safe place to be...they were kind of a rescue effort on my part...the guy that had them had hundreds of chicks, geese and ducklings...these eight were in a box and he was throwing them around like old bread...they were brand new and had not even had their first drink of water...I had to take them...but broody hensare a real trip...total space cadets as they focus on their task of hatching new babies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by