When will a rooster generally accept new hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by susanah, Aug 12, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    We have 2 19 week old bantams...one is a pullet, one is a roo. We added 6 more bantam pullets that are 9 weeks old now.
    We would like to integrate them together. The older pullet actually seems fine with the others, but the roo tend to chase them around
    and scare them. Is he just not old enough to know they are his hens? Do you think he would hurt them at this point, or is he just
    trying to show them who's boss? First experience with a roo. He's an OEG bantam and he is NOT aggressive in general.

2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    chasing is what roos do... [​IMG]

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    ^ Yup

If he isn't catching them maybe HE's not up to the new girls' standards? [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Realistically, they are too young to be interested in what he wants to do. [​IMG] Once they become sexually mature things will even out. As long as he is not physically harming them all will be OK.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 13 19 week olds and 3 9 week olds, so I am in the same boat as you...I have them integrated together, although the younger girls don't seem to think so, they are their own little flock...but my 2 roos, ignore them...I figured when they matured a bit more, the roos would include them in the "festivities"...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by