1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will broody hen wean chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gemleaf, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Gemleaf

Gemleaf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This is my broody hen Butterscotch. As you can see her seven, four week old babies no longer fit underneath her. When will she kick them off the nest? Not sure if I should move her back to the big coop with the other hens or not. She and the babies have been in a separate hutch since she started sitting on her nest. What do y'all recommend? This is my first experience with a broody, so I don't know what to expect.

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    My broodies are generally done hanging out with their chicks once the chicks reach about the 6 week mark.

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

Depends on the hen...most leave them at around 6 weeks. Some leave them at five, some at 10. I've had a couple hens that hatched an only chick and when he was 6 or 7 months old he would still hang out with them. They had gone back to laying eggs and even gone broody again but they never really kicked him out. I think four weeks is a little too young for the chicks to be separated, but they look like they are feathered pretty good and there are seven so they would probably be fine.

However, I would not separate her from the chicks until she starts pecking on them. Just waiting for her to be ready to leave them is the best way to go. You might want to expand the nest box a little though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by