When will Burt & Ernie tell me what sex they are?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by superchemicalgirl, Oct 10, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Hi there,
    I'm a very new duck owner. I've read Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks... but I'm still confused.

Burt & Ernie were born at the end of August. I was told they were Mallard x Call crosses. They're about 6 weeks old, now. I keep looking for that curly butt feather thing that males get. Both their butts look about the same right now.

Based upon their coloring I'd say I have a boy (dark) and a girl (light), but when will those curly butt feathers come in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TammyC

TammyC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2011
    My drake was about 2 months old before I knew the sex. Males have a quieter quack and females are louder and he was about 4 months old when I could really tell by the tail feathers.

3. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Mostly they still sound like peeps... but occasionally I hear a loud quack, but of course I'm never near enough to tell who it is. I also assume that because they're call duck crosses they're going to be louder than your average ducks.

Oh well, patience.

4. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    It took a full four months for my male Rouen to get his adult feathers and for my two Pekin boys to get their drake feathers.

5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Is it going to be longer for me since winter is coming? I'm assuming they won't then transition to adult male colors until spring?

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Id say you have a male and a female, because of the coloring.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks that way to me too, but pick each one up and you might be able to tell then, the girl will probably bust your ear drums quacking. lol. They sure are pretty.

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    The bill on the dark one seems to be yellowing, so it might be a boy. I can't see the bill on the lighter one.

We had a duck show up at the lake that looked just like the lighter one. Very pretty!

9. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I find that by the age yours are, I can pick them up and the girls will definitely quack and the boys won't. The boys may still peep (and the girls at times), but if you have a quacker, you have at least one girlie duck! Yay! I don't think the dark/light means anything, sorry, its just the color variant they are. The voice is my first indication, I can tell that at about 3 weeks - when they feed happy girls "chortle" in a duck noise that boys never make. Unfortunately, it's really hard to tell who is chortling... but at least I have an idea that I have girls and if there are a lot of them!

At 8 weeks, they finish up their first full set of feathers. In a few days after that they start to molt those out and should get their first adult colors at about 3 months. You shouldn't have to wait for spring. [​IMG]

Cute duckies!

10. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Thank you for this response. A few days ago they started molting. Wow, how different they are from chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by