When will chickens that were born in July lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by callawayfields, Dec 23, 2012.

1. callawayfields

callawayfields New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    Auxvasse, MO
    I realize this is probably a redundant question, however I this is my first go at rasing chickens. I have 5 different breeds, Silver laced Polish, Black Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Easter Eggers, and Yokohama, which were born around the end of July and was wondering if they would start laying this winter or if they would start next spring? I did start feeding them layer feed at around the 20week mark. They have also been "messing up" the nesting boxes for the last week or so and the roosters have been trying to breed with the black australorps for the past couple of days. So, should I be expecting eggs any day or have I gotten my hopes up?

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I would say keep an eye out for that first egg. The best way to tell is the color of the comb and wobbles. If they are bright red it can be any day. It was about two weeks after their combs turned bright red I started to get eggs.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    With the shorter days, it can take longer for them to start laying. I just had a pullet hatched 5/30 start laying this week. I'm still waiting on another that is 9 months old to start laying. They all mature at their own rates.

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I have some who were born some time in May - I estimate near the end of May, and one of the 4 just began laying this past week. I bet yours will begin laying early next year.

5. EggieRowe

EggieRowe Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens were hatched July 6th. I have EE's, Black Australorps, Cuckoo Marans, Delawares, and Buff Minorcas. I got my first egg this past Friday - exactly 24 weeks. Also got one yesterday that was Identical in shade & size so probably same hen. Both were laid on the ground, but today I found all three nest boxes scratched up...one had all the shavings completely kicked out. Hopefully egg #3 will come tomorrow and in the right place. They were light brown, so all I know is it wasn't the minorcas. (No supplemental lighting, but their coop faces south and that wall is entirely hardware cloth so they get a lot of light.).

Edited to say: Saw my roo successfully mate an australorp earlier this week, so maybe that's a good sign for you too! It makes me suspect the eggs are from an australorp.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. callawayfields

callawayfields New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    Auxvasse, MO
    Thanks for all the responses. My pullets behavior seem to be similar to yours, EggieRowe. I'm going to keep looking and waiting. I hope they lay in their nesting boxes and not on the floor of the coop since I am using rice hulls as bedding. They tend to really shift the rice hulls around and could potentially cover up a new egg...I'll keep you guys posted and try to post my first egg photo, which will hopefully be sooner than later. Thanks again!

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Put some golf balls, wooden or ceramic eggs or easter eggs in the nest boxes - it'll help them get the right idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by