when will chicks fly

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jermoatc, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    My 5 day old chicks are just in a box right now. When will they start to fly so well that i need to put a top on the box?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Any day now! I would get the lid ready and get it installed before one of them flys out. They grow fast and will be flying high very quickly. [​IMG]

3. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Oh my gosh. OK Thanks i was thinking maybe a couple weeks or something. Glad I asked.

4. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Along those lines too then, when should I supply them with a roosting bar?

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Oh yea, they start flapping around at a few days old and before you know it, they can do a mighty hop and flap their little wings with their newly grown flight feathers, and clear the top of the brooder! A brooder with a top is a definite must!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:I cut branches from my tree outside the day I brought them home at 2 days old. They will love to climb on branches and will start roosting by time they are 2 weeks old. Some of mine started sleeping on their branches at 2 weeks all night long. At one week, I put in a 2x4 on the small side up for them to roost and they learned very early on how to roost and did so all thru out their brood time. They loved playing on the branches and wood, giving them something to play on.

At first put a branch in that is about 1 inch off the floor. Then a week or so later, raise it up about 2 inches off the floor. They will love you for it! [​IMG]

7. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Mine is 2 weeks and 2 days and flew out yesterday. I'm so glad I went to check on him before bed. My other chicks must be stupid or smart and/or lazy cuz I didn't put a top on them until maybe 2 weeks ago and they never tried to fly out. I'm sure it was luck more than anything else.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ours were starting to fly in 5 days, were pretty good at it in 7 days, and are now experts at 16 days. They get over an 18 inch tall brooder wall in no time at all, and with almost no effort. XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by