When will chicks start eating and drinking?

KrystalRose

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Finley, WA
I have my eggs / chick under a broody mama, but she has sat so hard this whole time she wouldn't get up unless I made her. I even tried to go for 4-5 days without doing anything for her to see if I just wasn't being patient enough, she didn't make any messes in the brooder, no food was touched or water. So I have been putting the feed and water up to her a couple times a day and got her off the nest every other day. Because she has sat so hard during incubation, now that one chick hatched yesterday afternoon I am wondering when I should be seeing it get out to eat/drink. I know they have the yolk that lasts them a day or two but my biggest question is when do they need water? When I got my hatchery chicks I know they put in the gel water for them which makes me believe they need water before they need food. Is this right?

I don't want to mess with mamas way of doing things but might I need to show the chick how to drink like I had to do with the hatchery chicks, at least until more eggs hatch and she starts getting up?

sounds good so far, ive put the food and water right next to her and her babies so they wouldn't have to go far....after all the eggs have hatched that were suppose to, she should get up ad start showing the chicks the run of the area.

I just looked under mom again and saw a 2nd chick out and fluffed up. The first one looks like the cuckoo marans did but a little lighter grey and a little more white on the head, the 2nd chick has a grey body with a mostly white/yellow head, its mama must be a Delaware or buff Orpington. I figured they would all mostly look the same since the barred daddy gene is dominant but it seems I may get a small variety between them after all. YAY!!!!

I pulled yesterdays chick out next to the nest by the water and mom tried to show it how to drink, it watched very carefully but still needs practice. It was cute, almost like it didn't realize there was a world outside of the underbelly of mom, it almost didn't want to go back, then all of a sudden it dove under.

So cute!

Back
Top Bottom